As ISTEP gets closer we would like to share some test tips for our students. It is important to remember that test scores are only one measure of a student’s abilities, not the whole picture. Remember to stay positive and do your best!
- Practice math using flash cards.
- Practice reading by reading out loud.
- Look over what you have learned and get help on any areas you may need.
- Read your notes.
- Limit your TV time. Studies show that kids who watch fewer than three hours of television a day scored higher on the national reading test than those who watch more.
- Reduce test anxiety by staying positive. You can do it!
- Go to bed early and get 8 hours of sleep.
- Eat a good healthy breakfast all week.
- Participate in physical activity to help relieve stress.
- Get all your materials ready and be sure to pack extra pencils.
During the Test
- Take your time but pace yourself.
- Read the directions carefully.
- Double check answers and numbering.
- Attempt every question. Mark the ones that you don’t know and come back later.
- Eliminate all the choices you know can’t be right.
- Read and reread to help get the answers you need.
- Never leave an answer blank.
- Relax and just focus on doing your best!